All lectures are $8 for members, $10 for non-members.
Pre-registration is encouraged.
As the battles rage inside Syria, Beirut-based photographer and journalist Jamal Saidi enlisted a team of photographers to document life in the midst of civil war. The result is a poignant collection of images and portraits that show both the struggle and humanity in the war-torn nation.
On May 8th, Mr. Saidi will present the work in a special lecture at the Chicago Photography Center. He will discuss the images, what they show about the status of Syria and life for its people and those who have sought refuge in camps in nearby countries. He’ll also explain how he gathered the photographers and their work to document events there.
Friday, May 8th
Chicago Photography Center
Classes and Workshops in May and June
Sign up now for a upcoming full courses, one-day courses and bootcamps
NEW SESSION OF FULL CLASSES STARTS ON MAY 4TH
- Fundamentals of Digital Photography, – Mondays or Tuesdays, beginning May 4
- Fundamentals of FILM photography, Mondays/Tuesdays beginning May 4
- Street Photography, Seven weeks beginning May 4th
- Laptop Lightroom, Five weeks beginning Wednesday May 6
- Studio Lighting, Wednesdays beginning May 6
- Capturing Beauty with Your Camera, Three Sundays in May
ONE-DAY WORKSHOPS IN MAY/JUNE
- Film Fundamentals Boot Camp, One day on May 9th
- Digital Fundamentals Boot Camp, One day on May 9th
- Wedding Photography Boot Camp, One Day May 9th
- Photographing Architecture, One day workshop May 16th
- Environmental Portraiture Boot Camp, May 16 (one day)
- One-Day Flash Photography Workshop, May 16
- DIY Table Top/Product Photography Workshop, May 30 (one day)
- DSLR Video Boot Camp, June 13 (one day)
At this month’s Wine and Critique event on Friday, April 17th, the winner of the contest was Yuriy Zaveryukha with this image of a cat-a-comb.
The next W&C will be on May 15th, and the contest theme is “Street Portrait.” Look here for information on how to join our monthly Wine & Critique community.
Join Women in Focus Chicago and the Chicago Photography Center for a street photography workshop, led by photographer and curator Susan Aurinko, on the theme of portraying women in Chicago. The workshop will run Saturday and Sunday, June 6th and 7th.
On the first day, participants will meet at CPC to discuss the project and look at some examples of what is meant by “Picturing Chicago Women.” Then participants will go out to shoot in a group, along with Susan. The selected locations will provide a rich variety of ethnicities and demographics.
The following day (Sunday), participants will gather again at CPC to edit their images. Participants will work in groups with the assistance of professional editors to determine the best of Saturday’s work. From these, one will be selected as the image included in the Picturing Chicago Women exhibit that will be presented by Women in Focus at a later date.
This workshop is limited to 16 participants.
(Because the workshop is limited, members of Women in Focus will have priority.)
Two-day workshop with Susan Aurinko
Saturday & Sunday, June 6 & 7